Monday, May 14, 2007

The Education Podcast Network

I was excited to discover the podcasts at this network. I first listened to "The First Ammendment Minute." It is great. The podcasts are truly one minute long and both interesting and succinct. I listened to 2 one-minute podcasts about freedom of speech in television. I listened to one about divorce and religious freedom, another about billboards and censorship, and lastly about church buildings. I have a short attention span, so this network is perfect for me.

I searched on and found "The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow." Here I found Jim Crow stories, shared by people that lived in the south during this tumultuous period. I listened to Wilhemina Baldwin talk about not being able to drive her Cadillac, so instead had to buy a Chevy. Blacks had curfews then, and in theatres, they had to sit upstairs. I also listened to George Kenneth Butterfield, Jr. as he spoke about when his uncle died because the white doctor did not arrive until more than eight hours after the accident. It is amazing to be able to hear these first-hand accounts.

1 comment:

BC said...

Media and technologies seem to fit our attention span. There are short podcasts. There are also technologies, like ipods and tivo, that enable you to stop a longer podcast and pick it up at a later time.