Sunday, April 29, 2007

Discussion of "Darfur Is Dying"

I love to play games, board games, computer games, hand-held games etc. I was quite excited to try out the game "Darfur Is Dying." I listened to the "All Things Considered" segment on NPR called "Game Peers into Life in a Darfur Refugee Camp." I also read the Simon Parkin article at eurogamer.net, "Darfur Is Dying." I was even more excited to play the game after listening to and hearing all of the information about the game.

I have always felt that videogames and characters from these games could be made to be more educational. I was so excited that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles used the names of famous artists, however, I was disappointed to find that that's where the education ended. I know that I have already said this, but my son, and many other kids were able to memorize 150 Pokemon characters. What if these were the Presidents of the United States or elememts on the Periodic Table? It seems that we just need to get the kids' attention.

I love the title of the conference "Games for a Change." I think that we can raise political awareness in our children. In many cases, the parents will follow. Many people shy away from the news and documentaries, due to the depressing nature found there. I agree with Susana Ruiz, designer of "Darfur Is Dying" that we have a "new" form of media and it with behoove us as educators not to jump on this band wagon.

The game is an oversimplification of the problems in Darfur. There are different levels of this oversimplication. The characters in the game and the levels of their movement are very simple. The options and choices are also limited. Answers to questions aren't there. How did this whole problem begin? What is being done?

The fact that there are many questions raised in this game, leads to the idea that this game could be a perfect jumping off point for a discussion about Darfur. Students can be listing questions they might have, while playing the game, or watching others play the game. These questions could lead to student directed learning, a great example of Cognitive Flexibility Theory. The things that the students learn in this discussion, can transfer into other learning and discussions of conflict and problems.

1 comment:

BC said...

I like the anecdote about the memorization of Pokemon characters. This is an example of how game play can support the learning of content.

Many people have shied away from the Darfur crisis. When approached by Ruiz, relief organizations and academics agreed to work on the project because they wanted to increase awareness.

Would you place events in context before having students play the game? Good thoughts about transfer.